Friday, May 2, 2014

Jamberry Nail Vinyls!

Today I have a mini review compliments of Jamberry Nails, they supplied me with some vinyl nail strips for review a little while back. Today I have part one of my review, accent nail application and wear. The thing I love about these strips is application is pretty quick and easy, even using your non-dominant hand. It also does not require any dry or setting time once the strip has fully adhered to the nail bed!

For this instructional, I am using what looks to be a variation of Desert Mirage. I wasn't supplied with a name for this particular sample and am unable to locate it on the site! Either the colour has been discontinued or it may be an upcoming colour available soon.


First I'll run you through the steps for application provided and my comments:

Step 1: Wash Hands with non-moisterizing dish soap.
Step 2: Clean unpolished nails with alcohol and push back cuticles.
Step 3: Buff nails to remove shine (optional).

Essentially you want clean hands and nails so the strips adhere properly. I washed my hands normally and used nail polish remover on a cotton swab to clean the nail beds before applying the strips.

Step 4: Match your nail to the sizing or nail wrap that best fits keeping in mind you do not want the strip to be touching any part of the skin on our nails.
Step 5: Cut off to correct length while still on the backing leaving extra for application.

They suggest slightly smaller is better than a bit too big. I chose a good sizing that was slightly smaller than my nail bed. I sliced one strip right in half and had more than enough for both my nails.

Step 6: Using tweezers, remove strip from backing and warm with blow dryer for 5-10 seconds or until soft and flexible.
Step 7: Press the wrap on to the nail starting at the base and apply firm pressure around the edges to adhere the strip to the nail. Use rubber cuticle pusher to to seal the wrap.

I had no issues warming the strip. Application was fairly easy considering it was my first time, however since I did pull up the strip once or twice to centre it properly (which is acceptable in the instructions), I noticed some curling of at the edges, mostly on the sides. I tried to smooth out the strip as much as I could. I'm sure practice will make me better at applying! for the most part, as you can see below, I smoothed the strip to the nail pretty well.



Step 8: Trim the top of the wrap with scissors and file off the remaining  wrap using a downward motion to remove any excess.
Step 9: Apply heat and pressure to the wrap again until it is bonded to the nail.

Filing off the excess appeared to be the most difficult for me. Not that it was actually hard in any way, just the biggest challenge for me out of the whole process. I think it is because the strips are a decent thickness and I was filing too gently, I didn;t want to rip or ruin the strip. Ultimately, I successfully filed down the strip to the nail shape, and VOILA! To be safe I added a layer of topcoat over the wrap.



So... you may be asking yourself, how do these nail vinyl/strip/wraps wear? I wore them for a total of 6 days 5 and had virtually no wear to the vinyl it's self, I did however notice some slight peeling upward on the edges.  This wasn't very noticeable at all show and didn't bother me the same way another true polish would. As long as they stick to my nails and look good, I am happy.

Removal was easy, although I didn't use the instructions provided to soak in acetone/nail polish remover and peel off. Since I had some slight lifting I simply peeled the strip of... okay, maybe not so simply, these strips really stuck to the nail bed!! It was a bit of a challenge to peel them off, but I got them off with no damage to the nail. Some of the adhesive was still stuck to the nail, but it dissolved away easily with basic polish remover.

To sum up, things I  love about this product are:
  • ease of use
  • quick application
  • does not ruin the nail bed
  • no chipping
There wasn't really anything I disliked about the product, even though it lifted slightly on the sides in about a weeks time, however, it did not chip or peel or even look as though there was any wear to the "polish" at all.

Overall I am very impressed with this product! I have a few other single nail samples I will definitely be using as well as a full pack of a space design I will be featuring in the near future!

*This product was sent to me for an honest review, all views expressed are my own honest option. 

1 comment:

  1. I have a few nail strips I bought, but haven't tried them in awhile. I had a bad experience with the Sally Hansen ones, and I think that's why I don't like trying them out. But the pattern of this is beautiful~

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, I love reading your comments and feedback :)